WELCOME TO OUR SCHOOL
The Devon Hospitals Short Stay School provides education for children in hospital in Devon.
We teach on two sites –
- Bramble Unit at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Exeter
- Caroline Thorpe Ward at the North Devon District Hospital, Barnstaple
Our mission statement is:
Devon Hospitals Short Stay School aims to ensure that young people have their right to education preserved whilst they are unable to attend their home school for medical reasons. DHSSS is committed to providing a personalised education that meets social, emotional and physical aspects of the young person’s needs within a safe, positive and nurturing educational environment. It aims to:
- keep the young person in contact with the familiar world of school,
- provide an enriching and stimulating curriculum
- promote social integration wherever possible
- help pupils to keep up with schoolwork and make the best possible progress
- support pupils in their return to their home school.
Safeguarding is a high priority at our school. As employers we are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and, in that regard, have appropriate policies and procedures. in place.
If you would like to find out more about our school or discuss any aspect of our provision, please contact the Head teacher, Julia Allen at the Exeter site. (01392 402675)
Paper copies of any information on our website can be provided should you require it in this format. Please contact the Head teacher, Julia Allen or our administrator, Karen Squires, for details.
Welcome back to the Autumn Term!
Well, how lovely to have had a proper summer at last! We have all enjoyed the sunny break and are looking forward to the term ahead.
Attached to your mobile phone?
Stuck to social media?
Join the campaign to free yourself up from social media as part of ScrollFreeSeptember. Follow the link to find out more.
Comments from parents and pupils
'Thank you for the amazing care, enthusiasm and understanding while attending your school'
'The school has been a real life line this week and a fantastic distraction between treatments.'
'The school helped my daughter with her confidence and independence.'
'My son had lots of opportunities to do anything school related but fun.'
'I felt as though if I didn't know something I wouldn't feel embarrassed to ask.'
'I got better at the Laws of Powers.'
'My social skills got much better'
Latest DHSSS Events
- RDE-Crochet workshop delivered by one of our managers.25Sep2018
10:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Exeter City Football will be helping us to do more PE in hospital.02Oct2018
10:00 am - 11:30 am
- Exeter City Football will be helping us to do more PE in hospital.09Oct2018
10:00 am - 11:30 am